The President’s niece — a psychologist — thinks he fits all the criteria for narcissistic personality disorder. He does. This is the list:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g. exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
- Believes that they are “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
- Requires excessive admiration.
- Has a sense of entitlement (i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with their expectations).
- Is interpersonally exploitative (i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve their own ends).
- Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of them.
- Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
That list is from the DSM-V, via the wiki, though I do have an eBook copy of it myself.
Of course a psychologist is not a psychiatrist. They aren’t qualified to diagnose, and they know it. She just knows no one cares.
Then there’s this: “[Donald Trump] may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn’t make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder.” This is from an actual psychiatrist named Allen Frances, who I quote here because he’s the doctor who wrote the definition for the DSM. From Dr. Frances:
“When people are bad, they should be labelled appropriately and denounced for their behaviours. We should not use mental illness to slur someone. It’s a very strange society that thinks that it’s somehow worse to call Donald Trump mentally ill than to call him evil.”
I’m reminded of when I finally got across to my girlfriend (at the time) that I was suffering from a serious mental illness. She replied, “Wait. Are you saying you’re dangerous?”
The mentally ill are still dealing with the dark ages.
So what is the probable pathology of Donald Trump? How the fuck would I know?